| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
For purposes of safety and aesthetics, all utilities were placed in an underground tunnel early in the 1900s. The tunnel, not open to public access, is four feet wide and is constructed (at different times) of stone, brick, and cement. All buildings constructed from 1907-1997 are connected to the tunnel. Considered innovative and far-reaching at the time, it has served the campus for nearly a century.