| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Neumann Hall has for the past 12 years been used primarily as a residential hall for Mercyhurst College, North East. It remains in excellent condition. Until 1991, the building was knows as the Fathers' House and was part of St. Mary's Seminary, affiliated with the Society of the Holy Redeemer (Redemptorists.) The entire seminary was sold to Mercyhurst College that year.
The grey stone building was a landmark structure in northeast Pennsylvania from the time it was built in 1893-1894 to the present. A major fire on campus gutted the adjacent student building (know as Old Main), but fire doors prevented the flames from damaging the Fathers' House. The building was repaired and renovated in 1978.
St. Mary's Seminary was a central part of the Redemptorist Fathers' organization in the Untied States. Over the 111 years it was open, hundreds of future priests in that order were educated in Neumann's walls. Students received not only an academic education, they were also made familiar with the world of agriculture. The seminary grounds included a vineyard and other agricultural plots. An astronomical observatory was also constructed on the grounds and remains there today.
Prior to the Redemptorists' arrival in 1881, the first building was knows as Lake Shore Seminary, a Methodist institution. It opened in 1858.