Gold Star Memorial Residence Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Gold Star Memorial Residence Hall was one of the buildings on campus constructed to met the post-WWII need for men's housing. Opened in 1948 and renovated several decades later, it stands in good repair and provides serviceable housing for female students.
The building is named in honor of the servicemen and women killed in military service during World War II. This particular edifice honors veterans from the Northwest Texas and the New Mexico Annual Conferences of The Methodist Church (a predecessor of the present United Methodist Church). These two annual conferences were, and are, the official owners of the school. A bronze plaque in the lobby lists the names of those so honored.
Landscape Master Plan. 1991. Maedgen Administration Building, McMurry University, Abilene, TX.
Pride of Our Western Prairie, McMurray College, 1923-1982. Abilene, TX: McMurry University, 1989.