Pioneer Memorial Church
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Pioneer Memorial Church is the worship center of the Andrews University campus. A large church with an active congregation, Pioneer Memorial Church also serves as a memorial to the pioneers of the Seventh-day Adventist denomination. The name of each pioneer is etched on a plaque underneath a window. A sculpture located in front of the church depicts J.N. Andrews and his family as they were departing for mission service overseas. Andrews University is named in his honor and was the first Seventh-day Adventist missionary.
Much of the labor for the church's construction, begun in 1957, was provided by volunteers. Construction wasn't completed for several years, and the church was dedicated on May 21, 1960. The magnificent pipe organ was added in 1966, and other various improvements, including the installation of air conditioning and the renovation of the outer walls and roof, were conducted under the direction of Pastor John A. Kroncke (1966-1983).