| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
When the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary purchased the land in Green Ridge Heights in Scranton, Pennsylvania in 1899, there were three small buildings on the land: a Carriage House, a Greenhouse, and Martha's Cottage, a small living quarters. The Greenhouse no longer exists, Martha's Cottage is now the University's post office and mailing center, and the Carriage House is now Maria Hall.
In 1926, the Carriage House was converted into a two-story Science building and served in that capacity until after World War II, at which time the College built a new science building. Subsequently, the small building was given over to various uses in their turn: Placement Office, Art Department, Nursing Department, Military Family Institute, and probably others which further research will reveal. Finally, in 2000, the building converted for use by the Office of University Advancement.