| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Mary Baldwin College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Rose Terrace
Location on Campus: 120 N. Market St.
Date(s) of Construction:
| 1875||original construction |
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Italianate (Glossary)
Narrative: see below
References: see below
| Materials: |
|ca. 1875||private residence|
|ca. 1919||residence hall|
|ca. 1919||president's house|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||academic department building (Master of Letters / Master of Fine Arts in Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature in Performance)|
|ca. 2004-present (2006)||administration (chaplain, Learning Skills Center, Office of African-American and Multicultural Affairs, Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Development)|
Rose Terrace is a beautiful Italianate building with decorative brickwork and chimneystacks. It was built around 1875 as a home for Holmes Erwin and purchased by Mary Baldwin in 1919. Since then, it has been used as the president's home, a residence hall, and the office of admissions. It is listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Menk, Patricia. To Live in Time: The Sesquicentennial History of Mary Baldwin College. Verona, VA: Mid Valley Press, 1992.
Rose Terrace [Mary Baldwin College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.