| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Administration Building was rededicated in 1998 after a year of extensive renovation and modernization. This 1997-1998 project was the first major repair and renovation the building has undergone. The $3.75 million project was paid for through a portion of a $10 million anonymous gift and matching funds.
The Mary Baldwin room, just inside the front entrance, is a reception space where artifacts of the college's history are displayed. Two black iron dos, "Ham and Jam," stand sentinel at the foot of the steps leading to the front entrance.
The building was constructed in September of 1844. Wings were added in the 1850s. In 1974, it was recorded on the National Register of Historic Places. Two U.S. presidents, Woodrow Wilson and Dwight D. Eisenhower, have spoken to the people of Staunton from the front portico of the Administration Building.
Menk, Patricia. To Live in Time: The Sesquicentennial History of Mary Baldwin College. Verona, VA: Mid Valley Press, 1992.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Mary Baldwin College, Main Building. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.