| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1889 by Baltimore architect Jackson C. Gott, this Victorian home has welcomed all to the campus. To honor their parents Mr. W.G. Baker, Mrs. Charles F. Thomas, Mr. Joseph D. Baker, and Mr. Daniel Baker donated $4,000.00 to build a house for the president on the campus, and the house has served as a home for seven consecutive presidents. At a time when most residences for college presidents are no longer on campuses, this house allows for closer contact between the president and the campus community and is the center for various social functions that involve faculty, staff, students, and members of the surrounding community. It has been remodeled several times, with a large room for entertaining added to the south side, a two car attached garage being built on the northwest corner, and a larger front porch.
Bulletin of the Historical Society of Carroll County, Maryland 2, no. 2 (May 1952).
Chandler, Douglas R. Pilgrimage of Faith; A Centennial History of Wesley Theological Seminary--1882-1982. Santa Ana, CA: Seven Locks Press, 1984.
Makisky, John D. "Western Maryland College in the Nineteenth Century." Western Maryland College Bulletin [n.d.].
Schofield, Samuel Biggs, and Marjorie Cowles Crain. Western Maryland College The Formative Years, 1866-1947. Westminster, MD: Western Maryland College, 1982.
Weeks, Christopher. "The Building of Westminster in Maryland." Bulletin of the Historical Society of Carroll County, Maryland 2, no. 1 (May 1949).
Zepp, Ira G. "Western Maryland College: The Hill." In A Grateful Memory: History of Baker Chapel. Westminster, MD: Western Maryland College, 1995.