Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
McDaniel Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: McDaniel College
Original/Historic Place Name: McDaniel Hall
Location on Campus: South center campus
Date(s) of Construction:
1922original construction Anderson, Charles M.
Designer: Charles M. Anderson
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism (Glossary)
Significance: history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick
Roof: composition
 
Function:
ca. 1922infirmary (women's)
1922-present (2006)other (formal lounge, sorority rooms)
ca. 2004-present (2006)residence hall (co-ed)
 

Narrative:
In the early 1920s the need for an additional dormitory for women was keenly felt, and so a new building was planned. At the strong suggestion of the alumni, the building was named for the incumbent Vice President and Treasurer, William Roberts McDaniel (1861-1942), a much beloved teacher, counselor, and friend to legions of former students. McDaniel had graduated from the college in 1880 and had given up graduate studies at the Johns Hopkins University to temporarily take over mathematics classes at his alma mater for a professor ill with typhoid. When the professor died a month later, McDaniel remained in the post, soon took on various administrative duties, and served for the next 50 years in an active role with the college. He served as acting president at least four times and was offered the presidency in 1920 but refused it, preferring to remain the Vice President. He was also secretary of the Faculty for 21 years, founded the College Sunday School, introduced physical fitness and calisthenics into the curriculum, taught mathematics and astronomy for 40 years, and played a major and pivotal role in the development of Western Maryland College while working closely with its first four presidents. He was honored several times during his 80 year lifetime, including being named Doctor of Science honoris causa. He died in April 1942 of Parkinson's disease. Sixty years later to the day, the College's Board of Trustees voted to rename the college in his memory and honor. The McDaniel name is a very special one for the college.
 

References:

Bulletin of the Historical Society of Carroll County, Maryland 2, no. 2 (May 1952).

Chandler, Douglas R. Pilgrimage of Faith; A Centennial History of Wesley Theological Seminary--1882-1982. Santa Ana, CA: Seven Locks Press, 1984.

Makisky, John D. "Western Maryland College in the Nineteenth Century." Western Maryland College Bulletin. [n.d.].

Schofield, Samuel Biggs, and Marjorie Cowles Crain. Western Maryland College The Formative Years, 1866-1947. Westminster, MD: Western Maryland College, 1982.

Weeks, Christopher. "The Building of Westminster in Maryland." Bulletin of the Historical Society of Carroll County, Maryland 2, no. 1 (May 1949).

Western Maryland College Historic District [including McDaniel College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1976.

Zepp, Ira G. "Western Maryland College: The Hill," in A Grateful Memory: History of Baker Chapel. Westminster, MD: Western Maryland College, 1995.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006