| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Andrews Hall with its large two-story bay and tower, was constructed to house Marietta Academy, the College's preparatory department. In addition to recitation rooms, the building included a second floor, high ceilinged chapel/assembly room featuring a large arched window with stained glass accents. After the Academy closed in 1912, Andrews Hall became the location of several college departments and offices for administration and student publications. About ten years later, the attic was remodeled into a third floor for additional teaching space. A 1987 campus master plan proposed razing the building, which had closed in 1984 when the last departmental occupant moved to its own building. Because a number of departments and extracurricular activities had been housed in Andrews over the years, generations of alumni held fond memories of its halls, and news of the building's possible fate caused an outcry. A decision by the trustees in 1989 to mothball the building for five years turned concerned alumni into ardent preservationists intent on saving Andrews. Following its renovation under the direction of Schooley Caldwell Associates of Columbus, Andrews Hall began a new life in 1994 as a four-level student activities center. The original chapel, later a little theatre, was transformed into a Great Room.
Andrews Hall is a monument to the memory of Israel Ward Andrews, the longest serving president of Marietta College (1855 to 1885). Andrews' tenure as president was longer than any other Ohio college president's term in the 19th century. He was a faculty member in mathematics and natural philosophy for sixteen years before being elected to the presidency of Marietta. From 1855 until his death in 1888, he was also a professor of political science. Active in educational organizations in Ohio, Dr. Andrews served as president of the Ohio Educational Association and associate editor of the Ohio Journal of Education for many years. As a scholar, Dr Andrews wrote primarily in the fields of education and political science. His Manual of the Constitution (1874) was used as a textbook in academic institutions for many years. Dr. Andrews was described as "a dedicated teacher and insightful president" who "more than any other person molded the College and gave it its distinctive character." With a gift from his estate in 1905, the College established an endowed professorship in religion in Andrews' name. The snack bar is also known as Izzy's in his honor.
Beach, Arthur G. A Pioneer College: The Story of Marietta. [Chicago]: Privately printed. [John F. Cuneo Company], 1935.
Larson, Jens Frederick, and Archie MacInnes Palmer. Architectural Planning of the American College. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1933.
McGrew, Vernon E. In the Various Branches of Useful Knowledge. Marietta, OH: Marietta College, 1994.