Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
College Woods

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Maryville College
Original/Historic Place Name: College Woods
Location on Campus: rear of campus
Date(s) of Construction:
2002restoration of the natural amphitheater
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: education, engineering, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
ca. 2004-present (2006)outdoor space
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (used by cross country team, Mountain Challenge program, and as outdoor laboratory by Outdoor Recreation, Environmental Studies, and Natural Sciences)
 

Narrative:
Consisting of approximately 120 acres of mixed pines and hardwoods, the Maryville College woods are an integral part of the situational value of the College. The Woods contain a variety of habitats that include a low, dry ridge; riparian wetlands; second-growth forest; and mesic forest with old, large hardwoods. The Woods--especially the natural amphitheater--were used for Easter Sunrise Services, pageants, and weddings. Today, the Woods serve as an outdoor laboratory for the academic curriculum.
 

References:

Blair, Carolyn, and Arda Walker. By Faith Endowed: The Story of Maryville College, 1819-1994. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1994.

Lloyd, Ralph Waldo. Maryville College: A History of 150 years, 1819-1969. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1969.

Thomason, Philip. Stevenson, Dr. William P., House [Maryville College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1989.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006