Center for Campus Ministry
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Funded by William Thaw, Mrs. W. E. Dodge, and Mrs. Sylvester Willard (all northern philanthropists), the Center for Campus Ministry--originally the Lamar Library--is a small building constructed on the plan of the Greek cross, with equal transepts. It rises two stories from a basement at ¾ grade. The roof is metal, and there is a white octagonal bell-cast turret. The entrance and front window both include Romanesque arches, and there is a large Romanesque window to the rear. Inside, much of the building is finished in oak, including a paneled ceiling and two staircases.
The building served as the campus library until 1924, and in 1981 became the home of the Center for Campus Ministry. The building was completely restored in 2000.
Blair, Carolyn, and Arda Walker. By Faith Endowed: The Story of Maryville College, 1819-1994. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1994.
Lloyd, Ralph Waldo. Maryville College: A History of 150 years, 1819-1969. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1969.