| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Bartlett Hall was a campus project, with Japanese student Kin Takahashi acting as chief organizer and fundraiser. After receiving Board endorsement, students began work in 1895 on making the 300,000 bricks. The building was completed in 1901. The Board made loans secured by pledges to the YMCA fund, and Mrs. Cyrus McCormick of Chicago gave $2,500--the largest single gift--toward the goal of $10,000.
The building evokes a Victorian tone. From a full basement ¼ below grade, the building rises two full stories and is capped by a third story half into the roof. There is a Romanesque arch on the first floor of the façade and similar windows, along with a bay-shaped turret with a porch at the roof. In 2000, the building was completely restored and the Lambert Wing added.
Blair, Carolyn, and Arda Walker. By Faith Endowed: The Story of Maryville College, 1819-1994. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1994.
Cate, Herma, and Sarah B. McNiell. Maryville College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1982.
Lloyd, Ralph Waldo. Maryville College: A History of 150 years, 1819-1969. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1969.
Wilson, Samuel Tyndale. Chronicles of Maryville College: A Story of Altruism. Maryville, TN: Directors of Maryville College, 1935.