| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Anderson Hall, named for the College's founder and first president, the Rev. Isaac Anderson, was built in 1869 and is the oldest building on campus. During the "second" founding of the College after the Civil War, Anderson was built in part with funding from the Freedmen's Bureau because of the College's promise to exclude "none from its benefits by reason of race or color." In 1892 the "T wing" to the back of the building was completed, nearly doubling the capacity of the original structure; the design and brick used for this addition, known as the Fayerweather Annex, were completely in keeping with the original structure. The building is distinguished by Italianate Brick work and a large Mansard bell tower.
The building is slated to be renovated as part of the College's current strategic plan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Feb. 20, 1975.
Blair, Carolyn, and Arda Walker. By Faith Endowed: the Story of Maryville College, 1819-1994. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1994.
Carberry, Michael. Anderson Hall [Maryville College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.
Cate, Herma, and Sarah B. McNiell. Maryville College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1982.
Lloyd, Ralph Waldo. Maryville College: A History of 150 years, 1819-1969. Maryville, TN: Maryville College Press, 1969.
Wilson, Samuel Tyndale. Chronicles of Maryville College: A Story of Altruism. Maryville, TN: Directors of Maryville College, 1935.