| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Fountain is a semi-enclosed area located in a quiet space between the Administration Building, classroom areas, and the Funderberg Library. It has been altered several times over the years. The two main changes have been the removal of iron lily pads from the top and filling the original basin with dirt. The fill occurred in response to the Manchester College "tradition" of young men throwing freshmen into the fountain.
The Fountain holds deep meaning and traditional value for Manchester College. Our original fountain was removed due to the construction of the Administration Building in 1921. The Class of 1924 gave the new fountain to the college, and it has been a famous campus landmark ever since. Several student traditions arose surrounding the fountain, such as the aforementioned one and the tradition of marriage proposals at the fountain. Our current alma mater, "By the Kenapocomoco," makes mention of the Fountain.
Batzka, Stephen A. Manchester College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.
Jones, Timothy K. Manchester College: A Century of Faith, Learning, and Service. North Manchester, IN: Manchester College, 1989.