Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Weyerhaeuser Memorial Chapel

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Macalester College
Original/Historic Place Name: Weyerhaeuser Chapel
Location on Campus: 1604 Grand Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1969original construction The Cerny Associates
Designer: The Cerny Associates
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: concrete
Walls: glass, brick
Roof: 4 ply coal, tar pitch
1969-present (2006)chapel

The Chapel was built in 1969 to provide an on-campus site for chapel and other religious services and continues to serve in this capacity today. It also provides a venue for speakers, readings, and campus meetings.

The Chapel serves as a site for both religious services and secular meetings, and many graduates and friends of the College use it for marriage ceremonies.


Macalester College--A Century and Beyond. St. Paul, MN: Macalester College, 1985.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006