Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Lourdes Grotto

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lourdes College
Original/Historic Place Name: Lourdes Grotto
Location on Campus: 6832 Convent Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1921original construction
1978restoration
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, landscape, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1921-present (2006)outdoor space (site for prayer and reflection)
 

Narrative:
The Lourdes Grotto was one of the first projects carried out on campus in 1921. Planned largely by Mother Adelaide, the sisters, novices, and postulants carried stones from the area of the creek that borders the northern part of the property.
 

References:

Klewicki, Mary Dunstan. Ventures For The Lord: The History of the Sylvania Franciscans. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1990.

Lesiak, Michaeline. Art Catalogue: Narrative in the Duns Scotus Library. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1986.

Warpeha, M. Justinian. Of Evergreens Rooted In Yellow Sand, a Profile of Venerable Mother M. Adelaide, Foundress of the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1967.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006