Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Portiuncula Shrine ("The Port")

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lourdes College
Original/Historic Place Name: Portiuncula Shrine - Shrine of Our Lady of the Angels
Location on Campus: 6832 Convent Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1935original construction; dedicated August 2, 1936 Corona, Ralph
1975restoration
2002-2003major repairs to the external fa├žade
Designer: Ralph Corona
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Mission/Mission revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete mix
Walls: 1936 section, mortar mix; 1945 section, limestone facing
Roof: wood with tile
 
Function:
1935-present (2006)other (shrine)
1975-present (2006)chapel
 

Narrative:
The Portiuncula (Italian for "little portion") Shrine was built in thanksgiving for help during a time of financial crisis for the religious congregation. It is modeled after a chapel repaired by St. Francis of Assisi in the 13th Century and still in use in Assisi. Our particular shrine includes an original mural of Mary surrounded by the angels and saints, stained glass windows, Christian and Franciscan emblems in glass and tile, light fixtures from Jerusalem and the Middle East, and some art pieces decorated by the college founder and sisters of the congregation.

The first restoration of the shrine took place in 1975 when the religious article room was converted to a meditation room, and heat and health facilities were also added. The shrine was designated a chapel in January of 1975 with the bishop's approval for the permanent reservation of the Blessed Sacrament at the Portiuncula. The Chapel was restored in 2002-2003 when high winds to the aging structure necessitated major repairs to the external façade. Health facilities and a water source were removed in the late 1990s.
 

References:

Klewicki, Mary Dunstan. Ventures For The Lord: The History of the Sylvania Franciscans. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1990.

Lesiak, Michaeline. Art Catalogue: Narrative in the Duns Scotus Library. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1986.

Warpeha, M. Justinian. Of Evergreens Rooted In Yellow Sand, a Profile of Venerable Mother M. Adelaide, Foundress of the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1967.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006