Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Lourdes Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lourdes College
Original/Historic Place Name: Lourdes Hall
Location on Campus: 6832 Convent Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1949-1950original construction Holtzman, Wilfred D.
Designer: Wilfred D. Holtzman
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Mission/Mission revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: sandstone, light brick embedded with decorative tiles, textured plaster interior
Roof: terra cotta tile
 
Function:
ca. 1950residence hall (for the sisters of the congregation)
1950-present (2006)administration
1958classrooms (and offices for Lourdes Junior College)
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices (and staff offices)
 

Narrative:
This two-story building is connected to St. Clare Hall and Mother Adelaide Hall and is the birthplace of Lourdes Junior College. Ceramic tiles are embedded in the building's exterior and interior walls. Some portray the Franciscan coat of arms, Francis' Canticle of Brother Sun, and the greeting of Francis--Pax et Bonum. Other religious symbols are also used. The colored chunk glass window made in Chartres, France by Gabriel Loire depicts St. Remigius and is situated at the original entrance to Lourdes Hall. (Its mate was moved to the elevator extension in St. Clare Hall.)
 

References:

Klewicki, Mary Dunstan. Ventures For The Lord: The History of the Sylvania Franciscans. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1990.

Lesiak, Michaeline. Art Catalogue: Narrative in the Duns Scotus Library. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1986.

Warpeha, M. Justinian. Of Evergreens Rooted In Yellow Sand, a Profile of Venerable Mother M. Adelaide, Foundress of the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1967.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006