Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Annunciation Lobby

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lourdes College
Original/Historic Place Name: Annunciation Lobby
Location on Campus: 6832 Convent Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1949-1951original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Mission/Mission revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete pilings
Walls: sandstone, light brigh exterior and Southern portico; textured plaster interior
Roof:
 
Function:
1951-present (2006)other (lobby; reception area)
 

Narrative:
Annunciation Lobby, so named because of numerous artistic renditions of Gabriel's visit to Mary, is the setting for a nearly nine-foot tall Italian glass mosaic. A wrought-iron grill divider believed to have originated in 16th century Spain enhances the old-world flavor of the two-story lobby, with its tiled stairway leading to the second floor library Scriptorium. The walls are decorated with prints of Michaelangelo's Sybils and Prophets, an authentic copy of the Madonna of Monte Cassino, and stained glass windows designed by Sister Michaeline Lesiak.
 

References:

Klewicki, Mary Dunstan. Ventures For The Lord: The History of the Sylvania Franciscans. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1990.

Lesiak, Michaeline. Art Catalogue: Narrative in the Duns Scotus Library. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1986.

Warpeha, M. Justinian. Of Evergreens Rooted In Yellow Sand, a Profile of Venerable Mother M. Adelaide, Foundress of the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio. Sylvania, OH: Sisters of St. Francis, 1967.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006