| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Fayerweather was built between 1892 and 1894 with $100,000 from the estates of Daniel B. Fayerweather, a wealthy leather merchant. It is the first and perhaps the best of several buildings on the Amherst campus by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, noted especially for the Boston Public Library and Pennsylvania Station in New York City. William R. Mead (Amherst College class of 1887) played an active lifelong role in building the campus. He studied architecture with Russell Sturgis, Jr., while Charles F. McKim worked with H. H. Richardson, whose influence is apparent in the Fayerweather building.
The site for Fayerweather was chosen by Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr., who also did the landscaping. Olmsted had been consulted on other campus matters as early as 1864 and was awarded an honorary M.A. degree in 1867. In 1883 he was engaged to furnish a complete plan for the grading, roads, and walks of the college grounds. Complete exterior renovation and interior remodeling took place in 1999-2000.
Frederick Law Olmsted Collection. Archives and Special Collections, Robert Frost Library, Amherst College, Amherst, MA.
Gaines, Thomas A. The Campus as a Work of Art. New York: Praeger, 1991.
King, Stanley. The Consecrated Eminence: the Story of the Campus and Buildings of Amherst College. Amherst, MA: Amherst College, 1951.
Page, Max. "Outdoor Classrooms: Five Schools in Massachusetts Vie for Attention by Hawking Their Wares--In Vastly Different Garb." Architecture 92 (October 2003): 21-22.
Tavener, Christopher. Fayerweather Hall [Amherst College]. Inventory report. Boston: Massachusetts Historical Commission, 2000.