| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Named for T. Gibson Hobbs, President of the Board of Trustees from 1918 until 1942, this facility opened in the spring of 1959. Mr. Hobbs was a member of the class of 1904--the first graduating class at Virginia Christian College (renamed Lynchburg College in 1919). It contains the classrooms and laboratories for all of the sciences except psychology. The crew of the first nuclear merchant ship, Savannah, was trained in Hobbs Hall.
An addition containing new laboratories, offices, and classrooms was added to the rear of the original building in 1992. A regular program of preventative maintenance keeps this building in first-class condition.
"Lynchburg College, A Beacon of Excellence," A supplement to Lynchburg News and Advance, September 8, 2002.
Potter, Dorothy T. "Walls and Halls, An Architectural History of L. C." In Jubilee: 1903-1978. Lynchburg, VA: Lynchburg College, 1978.