Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Hall Campus Center

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lynchburg College
Original/Historic Place Name: Memorial Gymnasium
Location on Campus: facing due south on the edge of The Circle
Date(s) of Construction:
1923original construction Johnson, Stanhope S.
1980addition Garbee, Robert H.
Designer: Stanhope S. Johnson (Lynchburg, VA), Robert H. Garbee
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick faced with concrete (gym), cinder block face
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 1923gymnasium (co-ed, including faculty offices, indoor track, basketball court, locker rooms for men and women, and indoor swimming pool)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (ballroom)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (registrar, business office, security services, and switchboard)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
 

Narrative:
Given in 1923 by the citizens of Lynchburg in remembrance of those local servicemen who died in World War I, Memorial Gymnasium contained faculty offices, an indoor track, a basketball court, locker rooms for men and women, and an indoor swimming pool.

In 1980 an addition was built at the rear of the original structure. Renamed the William S. and Katherine N. Hall Campus Center, it includes an extensive outdoor area for formal and informal receptions. The basketball court was converted into a ballroom, the indoor track became administrative offices, and the pool was covered and turned into offices and classrooms. The structure also houses security services and the college switchboard. A regular program of preventative maintenance keeps this building in first-class condition.
 

References:

Chambers, S. Allen. Lynchburg, An Architectural History. Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia Press, 1982.

Potter, Dorothy T. "Walls and Halls, An Architectural History of L. C." In Jubilee: 1903-1978. Lynchburg, VA: Lynchburg College, 1978.

Potter, Edmund D. "The Westover Hotel." M. A. thesis, University of Virginia, 1995.

Wake, Orville. "The First Fifty Years, A History of Lynchburg College." Ph.D. dissertation, University of Virginia, 1957.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006