Christ the King Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Christ the King Chapel has contemporary Romanesque features: rounded and elongated windows, broad eaves, and a tall limestone foundation. The building was built in honor of Loras alumnus Chaplain Aloysius Schmitt (Lieuenant, U.S. Navy), the first American chaplain to die in World War II at Pearl Harbor. The Chapel, built between 1946 and 1947, is uniquely tailored to the college, as the building is connected to Keane Hall through a walkway. Architect John J. flad worked diligently to create a structure that would complement Keane Hall as well as Christ the King Chapel.
The building, which is still in excellent condition, was constructed mainly of stone native to the tri-state area. The design of the chapel includes gospel and epistle elements, which are captured in stained glass windows. The windows were made in New York by the Rambusch Company but were designed in Dubuque. They tell a story about Jesus, the values of the college, and the history of Dubuque.
Harry Wahlert and his wife Flora are buried in a crypt in the basement of the chapel. Wahlert was a very prominent businessman in Dubuque's meatpacking industry and is one of the community's greatest philanthropists.