Statue of Bishop Loras
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Bishop Loras was the first Bishop of Dubuque and the founder of Loras College. A statue of the Bishop was erected in honor of the college's 100th Anniversary in 1939, the same year the name of the college was changed from Columbia College to Loras College. The bronze statue stands beside Keane Hall, overlooking Dubuque. The college chose Vincenzo Miserendino, an Italian-American from New York, to create the sculpture. Miserendino sculpted the figure's hands in a permanent stance of blessing the city, which many claim has saved the city from disastrous tornados and floods. Bishop Loras' likeness stands 10.5 feet tall and is mounted on a native limestone base embedded 8.5 feet. The patina of the bronze statue shows its age but is still in good condition. It is one of the landmarks of the oldest college in Iowa.