Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Fieldhouse

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Loras College
Original/Historic Place Name: The New Gymnasium
Location on Campus: Alta Vista St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1924-1925original construction Hyland, Paul V.
Designer: Paul V. Hyland
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: face brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 1924-present (2006)gymnasium (including coaches offices and locker rooms)
 

Narrative:
The Fieldhouse, completed in 1924, is one of three field houses in the state of Iowa and the only one that is currently being used on a college campus (the other two are scheduled for demolition). The Fieldhouse was designed in modern Romanesque style with elements of what is termed "Armory style." Before and after World War II, many armories and schools that offered military training, including Columbia College (now Loras College), were built in a similar pattern.

The Fieldhouse is in good condition, and the integrity of the original armory-style structure remains intact. Sporting events are still held in the building, and until recently, commencements were held there as well.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006